The Evening Campaign Update (Because the Campaign Never Ends)
Campaign finance laws? What campaign finance laws? – Apparently, federal campaign finance laws never envisioned the scam just pulled off by Mini-Mike Bloomberg. I told you when he got into the race that this was all a scam, that he wasn’t really seriously seeking the nomination, and his actions since that time only made my case.
Here’s how the scam worked:
- In most campaign seasons both the RNC and DNC are flush with money and able to throw millions around to vulnerable campaigns and run TV and social media ad campaigns;
- As of last November, though, the DNC was flat, dead broke and unable to raise enough money even to get out of debt;
- Put simply, the DNC needed either a bailout or a proxy. Mini-Mike provided both;
- Enter Mini-Mike and his fake presidential “campaign”;
- The DNC couldn’t run ads attacking President Trump, but Mini-Mike, a multi-multi-multi-billionaire certainly could;
- Even better, as a declared candidate for the office, he qualified for low advertising rates TV networks and stations are required to offer, leveraging his hundreds of millions of dollars even more;
- So he spent three solid months, from early December through early March, spending a grand total of more than $900 million in his fake campaign, most of which went into anti-Trump advertising;
- After failing to win a single contest and only a small handful of convention delegates, he abandoned his fake campaign after Super Tuesday.
Friday, Politico reported that, as a final act of largess to the DNC, he is deeding his state campaign operation to the Party, firing all of his employees who he promised to employ through November, and “donating” the state campaign budget’s remaining $18 million balance to it.
From the Politico report:
Mike Bloomberg’s defunct presidential campaign laid off hundreds more staffers Friday as he announced that that he’s folding his massive battleground operation into the Democratic National Committee.
Many of the Bloomberg aides — including those purged in an initial round of dismissals—were holding out hope he would deliver on a promise to keep them on his payroll through November, particularly with the coronavirus baring down. But those hopes were also dashed Friday when the staffers were told in frank conference calls that Bloomberg would not move ahead with his planned super PAC, and instead would cede his state operation to the DNC, including an $18 million infusion to help presumptive nominee Joe Biden.
The staffers, who said they were lured to the late-starting campaign with yearlong guarantees of competitive pay and health benefit packages, were invited to apply for jobs with the DNC as part of a “competitive process.”
“I guess it’s cheaper to give the DNC $18 million than keep promises because @MikeBloomberg just fired his whole campaign staff — including those of us promised jobs though November on his IE,” Amol Jethwani, a former aide, wrote in a tweet. “Disappointed I don’t have a job. Not surprised that a billionaire is cheating scum.”
Several other former aides said in interviews that the news comes as a massive blow amid the tanking economy. They believe the campaign has repeatedly strung them along while misrepresenting future opportunities.
“I am disgusted by Mike Bloomberg and his staff,” one of the Bloomberg aides, who like several others spoke on the condition of anonymity, told POLITICO on Friday. “He has left us with no health insurance during this pandemic. I have a family and do not know what we will do at the end of the month.”
The person added, “If the DNC and Joe Biden choose to ignore us, they are complicit as well. How can the party claim to care about working Americans while taking money from a billionaire that does not fulfill his promises to his employees?”
How, indeed? I’ll tell you how: Because it’s the Democrat Party, and its toadies in the corrupt news media outside of Politico will just ignore the story.
Thus, you have a dude worth $62 billion before the financial meltdown stiffing hundreds of campaign workers who will now go file for unemployment. You also have a scam that would be a major scandal if any Republican attempted to pull it off going essentially unremarked by the “public watchdogs” in the corrupt news media
Welcome to journalism-is-dead-America.
That is all.
Today’s news moves at a faster pace than ever. Whatfinger.com is my go-to source for keeping up with all the latest events in real time.