Today’s Campaign Update
(Because The Campaign Never Ends)
- Prediction time – Serial woman abuser and all-around big Hollywood muckety-muck Harvey Weinstein will enter himself into some sort of sex pervert “rehab” program, come out of it within 90 days “fully cured”, and within a year be given some sort of “courage” award by Meryl Streep at one of the 12 dozen or so annual Hollywood awards programs. Nothing is too absurd or depraved for these people.
- Hollywood lawyer Lisa Bloom, who spent four days making up excuses for Weinstein’s 25 year reign of terror, abruptly announced on Saturday that she would no longer be representing the clown. It seems that even Ms. Bloom, the daughter of the completely ethics-devoid, attention-seeking hack Gloria Allred, could not stomach inventing fake talking points for this guy.
- Wait. Lanny Davis has a “line”? – But wait, it gets even better: Even the shameless political hack Lanny Davis announced on Saturday that he was pulling out of Weinstein’s team of advisers. Lanny Davis has spent the last 25 years making up fake talking points for Bill and Hillary Clinton, folks. This guy had no problem whatsoever making up fake talking points slandering Bill Clinton’s many female victims, had zero issue with lying about Bill and Hill’s illegal use of the FBI files of more than 1,000 of their political enemies, had no worry at all about prevaricating in defense of Hillary’s illegal email server. But making up lies for Harvey Weinstein, well, that just crosses Lanny Davis’s line. You just can’t make this stuff up.
- We’ve heard a lot over the last four days about how “powerful” Weinstein is, but here’s the truth about that: Harvey Weinstein has always only been “powerful” to those who want something from him, either professionally or politically. Everyone in Hollywood and the Democrat Party was willing, for more than a quarter of a century, to simply look the other way and ignore his personal behavior because they all wanted something from him. And everyone in Hollywood – other than Ashley Judd, whose career is basically over anyway – is remaining silent on the matter because they all still hope they might get something from Weinstein in the future, after he gets “cured” and makes his big comeback. These people are disgusting, and normal Americans should stop supporting what they do with our money.
- Speaking of disgusting people normal Americans should stop supporting with our money… – A new Winston Group survey released on Saturday indicates that the National Football League has, in the span of less than three months, fallen from the most popular major sport in the United States to the least favorite, falling behind both Major League Baseball and the National Basketball Association. Of course, this poll comes before the beginning of the NBA season, and there is no telling what sorts of spectacles we are go see from players in that sport – and from San Antonio Spurs Coach Gregg Popovich – during the playing of the national anthem this fall. But at least for now, the NFL has become the sport non-grata for the average American. Couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of people.
- And here’s a group of disgusting people normal Americans have already stopped supporting. – If you have wondered why Donald Trump’s public approval rating has steadily moved upwards over the past couple of months despite the withering nightly assault on his character from the networks’ current silly group of late-night talk show hosts, wonder no more. It’s because nobody actually watches this silly group of late night talk show hosts anymore. The Washington Examiner points out that taken all together, the shows starring Jimmy Kimmel, Jimmy Fallon and Stephen Colbert were watched by an average of barely 8 million viewers last week. Just a few years ago, Jay Leno by himself was averaging more than 6 million viewers each night, with David Letterman trailing very closely behind.
- One would think that sooner or later someone at these networks might wake up and think, hey, maybe it’s not such a great idea to intentionally insult half of our potential audience every night, because those people buy all the junk our advertisers sell, too. But the evidence at hand indicates that light bulb moment won’t be happening anytime soon.
Just another day in ordinary people voting with their pocketbooks and remote controls America.
That is all.
Today’s Campaign Update
(Because The Campaign Never Ends)
- Kurt Schlichter, who has become the most provocative and frankly most enjoyable conservative opinion writer working today, penned a piece on Thursday titled “Politically Correct Hollywood Is Doomed.” In the piece, he hilariously imagines the release of a series of films with politically correct themes and titles like Xe-Day, and Dirty Harriet, in coming years, all of which would miserably fail at the box office. It’s highly recommended reading – it will be five minutes well-invested, trust me.
- Turns out, though, that we don’t need Mr. Schlichter to make up imaginary films that fail miserably at the box office: As the Wall Street Journal points out this morning, Hollywood is already cranking such duds out at an amazing pace, and theater owners are beginning to panic. This summer’s box office take was down 5% compared to 2016, which wasn’t much of a year to brag about, either.
- Of the season’s projected blockbuster action flicks – which included the execrable Johnny Depp slouching through yet another rehash of Pirates of the Caribbean, for crying out loud – only Wonder Woman can be termed a smashing success, as it grossed over half a billion dollars in the U.S. alone. But that female super-hero flick was more than offset by tankers like King Arthur: Clash of Swords (grossed just $39 million on a budget of $175 million) and a horrific remake of The Mummy (grossed just $69 million in the U.S. on a budget of $345 million), which inexplicably starred Tom Cruise and Russell Crowe.
- People in Hollywood appear to be mystified as to why their films aren’t making as much money as they used to, but they’re all morons who have no understanding of any American who lives outside of their tiny bubble, so we should expect nothing else from them. The corporate suits who run the big theater chains appear equally mystified, but again, that thing about morons in bubbles applies.
- Because of that lack of understanding, we can rest assured that Hollywood will continue cranking out action “blockbusters” that no one really wants to see (Like, we really needed yet another remake of The Mummy? Who demanded that?), un-funny comedies whose “humor” trends more towards depravity and disgust with each passing year, and “dramas” that have no relevance to the lives of any American who does not live in Hollywood or New York City. Meanwhile, Hollywood’s real, most obvious problem will go un-addressed.
- What is that obvious problem, you ask? Ok, guess it’s not that obvious after all. Look, the film industry’s most obvious problem is that its major stars can’t keep their silly, dim-witted mouths shut on issues of politics and morality. No American who lives in the 95% of the country outside of Hollywood and Manhattan needs to be lectured about politics by the likes of Meryl Streep. No one out here in flyover country has any desire to take morality advice from Lena Dunham or the mentally deranged Ashley Judd. We neither want nor need nitwits like Will Ferrell or Matt Damon lecturing us on the presidential or congressional races, nor do we desire advice on environmental matters from the likes Leonardo DiCaprio, who has a carbon footprint roughly equal to that of Rome, Italy.
- The constant drumbeat of leftist political claptrap coming out of Hollywood amounts to a withering, unending assault on the sensibilities of half of the American population, perhaps more. You want to know why the Academy Awards ceremony this year had the second-lowest ratings in the program’s history? This is why. You want to know why nobody wants to see Russell Crowe or Tom Cruise in The Mummy? This is a big reason why. You want to know why the ratings for the late night talk shows are a fraction of what they were 30 years ago? This is why.
- The average American wants movie stars to shut up and act, singers to shut up and sing, directors to shut up and direct, script writers to shut up and write, and producers to shut up and produce. But of course, Hollywood is made up almost entirely of desperate, grasping attention-seekers, so that’s never going to happen.
- The inevitable result will be a complete revamping of the Hollywood film industry model in coming years, as the industry continues to become less profitable. A decade from now, all the big box theater chains will be out of business, most if not all films will be immediately available on pay-per-view, and the industry will bear little resemblance to what exists today.
- We don’t need Kurt Schlichter to imagine all of that for us, because it is happening right before our very eyes.
Just another day in Shut Up And Act America.
That is all.