Today’s Campaign Update (Because the Campaign Never Ends)
Bolstered by the fact that his state just experienced its lowest numbers since April 3 in terms of new COVID-19 infections, hospitalizations and deaths despite expanded testing, Texas Governor Greg Abbott continued to expand one of the nation’s most successful reopening plans on Monday. Abbott’s Phase II will allow bars, bowling alleys, wine tasting rooms and other entertainment venues to reopen at 25% capacity this Friday, and allows restaurants, salons and other already-opened businesses to expand to 50% capacity on that day.
Here are other details of Abbott’s Phase II, as reported by the Dallas Morning News:
– Effective immediately, daycare centers can reopen, as can massage businesses, tattoo parlors and piercing studios, so long as there is at least 6 feet of social distancing between operating work stations.
– On Friday, restaurants can increase their capacity to 50%. Bars and several entertainment venues, including bowling alleys, bingo halls, skating rinks, rodeos and aquariums,, can reopen at 25% capacity.
– On May 29, zoos can reopen at 25% capacity.
– On May 31, youth camps can reopen. So can professional sports venues – including basketball, baseball, softball, golf, tennis, football, and car racing – so long as there are no in-person spectators.
In contrast to the fright tactics pushed by the corrupt news media on behalf of the Democrat Party, Texas has seen no surge whatsoever in Wuhan Virus cases during the course of its reopening, and continues to have by far the lowest rate of death per capita among the nation’s large states. Abbott did choose to delay the Phase II implementation for the El Paso and Amarillo areas, but that was due to isolated outbreaks of the virus among the employees in two meatpacking plants.
Meanwhile, as reopenings in red states like Texas, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Arkansas and others continued to run along smoothly, here is a sampling of what Democrat governors and mayors were inflicting on the people in the blue states:
– New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said his city’s beaches would remain closed through the end of May, and threatened to have his police literally pull people “right out of the water” if they are caught swimming in the ocean;
– Toadish Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker told reporters that he has amended his own lockdown order to now include fines of $25,000 and imprisonment for any business owner who dares to defy his authority;
– In Michigan, Generalissimo Gretchen Whitmer, who has been under tremendous pressure to lift her jackboot off the necks of her citizens, relented a bit by announcing a modest reopening of some businesses in the state’s upper peninsula and far northern region. But Herr Gretchen will keep the rest of the state – and the vast preponderance of her population – under a strict and utterly failed lockdown policy through at least May 28;
– In Oregon, Alinskyite Governor Kate Brown found herself on the losing end of a lawsuit challenging her own insane lockdown early in the day, as a state district judge ruled that businesses can reopen because, you know, the Constitution and stuff. However, by day’s end, the reliable leftist brutes on the state’s supreme court had reversed that decision, reinstating Brown’s counterproductive policy while the case goes through the appeals process;
– In New Jersey, goofy Democrat Gov. Phil Murphy found himself in a bit of a conundrum as local law enforcement officers are beginning to tire of enforcing his mindless edicts. When a gym operator in Bellmawr announced he was going to reopen on Monday, several hundred supporters showed up to support him. Police arriving on the scene surveyed the crowd, informed them they were all in violation of the Governor’s order, and then, smiling, told them to “have a good day.” Murphy responded as bullies always do, threatening the owners that they would “have a different experience” should they try to open again on Tuesday;
– Despite California’s having one of the lowest rates of infections and deaths per capita among the large population states, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, in an interview designed to show how his city is not in total lockdown, made clear his city would remain in its current lockdown condition until well into the summer before he would even begin studying ways to allow businesses to reopen.
The United States is a divided country, and we are going to come out of this Wuhan Virus episode in a situation in which the red states will be miles ahead of the blue states economically and in terms of the individual freedoms of the citizens. You can be certain that thugs like Eric Garcetti and Bill de Blasio and Gretchen Whitmer are going to continue exercising any authority they can get away with against their citizens even after the virus has run its course.
We must keep in mind that no leftist is going to voluntarily surrender power once they have obtained it. That will only be done if the U.S. Department of Justice and the courts move to force them to relent.
Make no mistake about it: The Democrat thugs themselves understand the long-term economic ramifications of whey they are currently doing, which is why they and Nancy Pelosi are in such a frenzy now to force congress to bail the states out. Many blue states were already teetering on the brink of insolvency before the viral gift from China arrived at our shores, and now their fate is pretty much sealed.
But states like Texas, Florida and many others that have a constitutional requirement to balance their budgets are not in any similar situation. Thus, a congressional bailout would in fact be a situation in which red states that have properly managed themselves would be forced to bail out blue states that have been badly mismanaged by Democrats for decades.
It’s a soft civil war, folks. Let’s pray it doesn’t expand into a hard one.
That is all.
Today’s news moves at a faster pace than ever. Whatfinger.com is my go-to source for keeping up with all the latest events in real time.