Today’s Campaign Update
(Because The Campaign Never Ends)
- It couldn’t happen to a nicer guy. – Man, you know you’re having a bad day when the company with your name on it, the company you personally founded, comes to you and says “you’re fired!” But that’s exactly what happened to producer of mediocre films and all-around high Hollywood muckety-muck Harvey Weinstein on Sunday, as the Weinstein Company’s board of directors, including his own brother, unanimously voted to can him. That’s a really bad day.
- It’s important to note that the Weinstein Company’s board of directors did not fire Weinstein because they found out about their CEO’s serial abuse of women. They fired him because the rest of us found out about it. Big difference.
- In case you’re feeling all warm and fuzzy with the fake journalists and fake editors who infest the NYTimes for running the story that brought Weinstein down, well, don’t. Writing in The Wrap, former Times reporter Sharon Waxman details how she had this story nailed in…wait for it…2004, but that, thanks to immense pressure put on the Times by Weinstein and actors Matt Damon and Russell Crowe, the fake editors at the fake newspaper gutted her story of all reference to the high muckety-muck’s abuse of women and buried the remainder of her story in bowels of the Culture section.
- Much like many of his own productions, there are no good guys in this particular film. No intrepid journalists exposing corruption, no valiant actors or actresses doing the right thing at risk of their own personal careers, no principled politicians who refuse to take money from a man they know to be a woman abuser. No socially-redeeming characters here at all.
- Speaking of “steins”, California Senator Dianne Feinstein (who was happy to take money from Harvey Weinstein), right in the middle of her latest effort to ban gun ownership in America, openly admitted in an interview on Face The Nation on Sunday that there is no law, either on the books or that she could pass, that would have stopped the Las Vegas gunman: “No, he passed background checks registering for handguns and other weapons on multiple occasions,” she told host John Dickerson. Well, duh.
- But of course, that did not stop the gun-grabbing Senator from California from going ahead and talking about how she has all sorts of ideas on gun laws, which she did not specify, that would “make things safer.” The next logical question for any real journalist would be “Can you be specific about what those ideas are, Senator?” But Ms. Feinstein is a Democrat, and thus exempt from the asking of any follow-up questions that might reveal the emptiness of her ideas.
- So she was just allowed to ramble on about how the question of “bump stocks” requires a bill – which she just happens to have in-hand – and can’t be resolved via a regulatory review by the BATFE, which ruled the things to be legal in 2010. Which, of course, may or may not be true, and we won’t know until the agency has performed its regulatory review. Sen. Feinstein at one point stated that “Regulations aren’t going to do it. We need a law. It can’t be changed by another president. Right now we’re seeing one president change actions of a – of a president that came before him, and that would happen in this area.”
- That statement doesn’t really make sense and seems self-contradictory, but the Senator seems to be claiming there that BATFE in the Trump Administration cannot reverse a regulatory ruling made during the Barack Obama Administration. This is abject nonsense. As the Trump Administration has already shown in literally hundreds of instances already, federal agencies can indeed reverse or modify regulatory rulings made years earlier, as long as they have the legal justification for doing so. We won’t know if BATFE can find a legal hook for reversing its earlier approval of the bump stock toy until the regulatory review has been performed. This is how our government works.
- The reality with Sen. Feinstein is that she wants to do a bill for the sake of doing a bill, so that she can take credit for “doing something”, even if it is, as a practical matter, meaningless. Because making futile gestures in the name of “doing something” so they can take political credit is what Democrats do.
Just another day in Democrat gun-grabbing America.
That is all.
Today’s Campaign Update
(Because The Campaign Never Ends)
- These events never work out the way the fake news media want them to. – President Trump, as promised, visited the ravaged island of Puerto Rico on Tuesday, and everyone at CNN and NBC was horrified to see him enthusiastically received by grateful Puerto Ricans. San Juan’s Marxist Mayor Cruz wore spiked heels to the joint briefing with the President, and no one at Vanity Fair or the New York times tossed a fit about it. Go figure.
- In other news, I had an email from a lefty friend late yesterday, an email that ended with an expression of this person’s feeling that “we really need to have a national dialogue about guns.” That sounded suspiciously like the leftist talking point started by Tom Brokaw Monday morning and parroted by pretty much every Democrat politician and fake journalist who can still utter coherent sentences – which obviously excludes Nancy Pelosi – but I didn’t say that to this person.
- Instead, my reply was very brief: “Ok, I’ll start. You can’t have my guns. Great talk.” Thus, my lefty friend may now be just a lefty acquaintance, I’m not sure, since I never got a reply. I suppose I’ll find out in due time.
- But whatever, this is really the only reply conservatives can offer to lefties on this subject, for one simple reason: the leftist heart is not pure on this subject. Well, ok, the leftist heart is not pure on any subject, but on gun control it is especially not pure.
- This lack of purity of intentions becomes manifestly obvious every time we have a tragic event like the Las Vegas massacre, and every leftwinger in the country knee jerks to offering logic-devoid sophistries about the “need for more gun control” before we even know the name of the maniac who perpetrated the act, much less anything about his background or how he acquired his weapons.
- The Las Vegas shooter is a great example of leftists’ lockstep refusal to deal with facts. Due to his work history, which included stints at the U.S. Postal Service, the IRS and a defense contractor, and in the process of legally acquiring his massive stash of firearms, we now know this scumbag somehow managed to pass more than 30 FBI background checks during his life. He obtained his guns in states with some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country, dotted every ‘I’, crossed every ‘T’, and was able to accumulate an arsenal. Yet I heard half a dozen leftwing idiot politicians, such as the execrable valor thief Richard Blumenthal, talk about the need for more background checks when obtaining firearms. Which part of “30 FBI background checks” do you not understand, Senator?
- But of course, Blumenthal gets a pass from the fake news media, which is uniformly parroting the same false narrative, because enhanced background checks are not the real agenda here. If you give Blumenthal his enhanced background checks, and give Chuck Schumer his desire to outlaw “bump stocks”, then the next time there is a mass shooting perpetrated by some guy who passed all the background checks to legally acquire his firearms, Dick and Chuck are just going to come back wanting something else that won’t have any effect other than robbing law-abiding citizens of more of their freedoms.
- Note to all conservatives thinking about offering concessions to these people: The real agenda is LEFTISTS WANT TO TAKE YOUR GUNS AWAY FROM YOU. That’s it. That’s where they all want to go, that’s what is in their hearts and minds, and everything they do and say related to this issue is designed to get them to that point.
- If you gave Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders 30 seconds to be dictator of America, the one thing he or she would get done in that 30 seconds would be to rescind the 2nd Amendment and send an army of jack-booted, bullet-proof vest-wearing, ironically gun-toting thugs into your home to forcibly take away all of your guns and leave you defenseless. Because leftists believe that only the jack-booted, bullet-proof vest wearing, ironically gun-toting thugs loyal to them should be able to tote guns in our society.
- And don’t think this is really about preventing atrocities like what took place in Las Vegas Sunday. Hell, if it was about that, they’d be trying to ban big white trucks, since a radical Islamic terrorist killed 86 people in Nice last year with a big white truck.
- This is about control. Not gun control, just control. Leftists want to control you. They think they are smarter than you, better than you, know better than you do how you should live your life, and think they should be able to dictate all of that to you. They honestly do. This is how their minds work. It’s how they are wired.
- This is the real nature of leftism: It’s a mental disorder. Throughout the history of the 20th and 21st centuries, the implementation of leftism in any society has inevitably led to a violent end. Venezuela is just the latest in a very long line of nations to sadly experience this inevitable progression. The first two steps in such a progression are always 1) the government takeover of the news media, which was already 90% achieved during the Obama Administration, and 2) the disarming of the public.
- Guess where we are in that progression?
- Offering concessions to these people is no different than offering concessions to Lenin, or Hitler, or Mao, or Castro or Hugo Chavez: The next time there’s an incident, they’re always going to want more concessions, and every concession is just one more step down the road to their ultimate, true goal.
That is all.
Today’s Campaign Update
(Because The Campaign Never Ends)
- The big news out of the National Football League this morning is that every player on both teams stood for the moment of silence honoring the memories of the victims of the Las Vegas massacre. Imagine that: 106 millionaire prima donas and not a one of them picked that for their personal “look at me” moment. Even better, all 53 Washington Redskins actually stood for the national anthem, although 2 Chiefs felt the need to sit and look stupid. Nobody really knew why they were sitting, and probably they really didn’t, either.
- In other, less important and less media-covered NFL news, the Chiefs won the game.
- Meanwhile, in Las Vegas, authorities continue to search for a motive for the mass shooting. Even though ISIS took credit for the assault, claiming the man was a recent convert to Islam, the LVPD and other investigating agencies claim to have found no evidence yet to support any terrorist affiliation. ISIS also took credit for a casino attack earlier this year which authorities believe was actually a botched robbery, so there is reason to be at least skeptical of the group’s claim in this case.
- Already, an official narrative is becoming clear in this case. Such narratives always follow a familiar line in these mass murder cases and assassinations: the guy was a “loner”, he “kept to himself”, he was “just a regular guy”, and no one in his family, none of his friends, nor anyone in his neighborhood had any idea at all that he was a raging psychopath. Yep, this guy had somehow accumulated an arsenal roughly equivalent to that of the Bulgarian Army, was carrying what he needed to make a huge fertilizer bomb in his car, and spent four days carting firearms and ammunition into his comped suite at the Mandalay Bay, and nobody had any idea at all that he was up to something.
- Folks, I can’t take a walk without 15 people in my neighborhood knowing about it. This guy lived in a closely-packed retirement community filled with nosy senior citizens. But we are supposed to believe that he was able to build a stockpile of firearms and explosives that would fill your local National Guard Armory and nobody had any idea.
- 59 Americans are dead as I write this. Many more remain in critical condition at Las Vegas hospitals. More than 500 were wounded in the assault. These victims, their families and other loved ones, the people of Las Vegas and everyone else in America deserve to learn the truth about what happened.
- It would be a real benefit to our society if the local officials – who seem to be doing a fantastic job – could be allowed a few days to accumulate and examine the evidence available, interview the man’s friends, family and neighbors, and conduct a full investigation without the creeps at CNN and the major TV networks pushing out a cookie-cutter narrative that may or may not have any real basis in reality.
- Americans deserve better than this.
- Speaking of Americans deserving better, it took Hillary Clinton and her fellow Democrats about 15 minutes to start politicizing the Las Vegas tragedy into yet another assault on the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. The Most Corrupt Woman In America was on her Twitter account before noon on Monday (she got up early), tweeting out ignorant nonsense (what else is new?) designed to stir up her followers for another push for blaming the inanimate objects for the actions of another mad man.
- Ms. Clinton has obviously watched too many episodes of Hawaii 5-0, since she obviously believes that “silencers” actually make guns emit no sound. This rank ignorance led her to tweet, “The crowd fled at the sound of gunshots. Imagine the deaths if the shooter had a silencer, which the NRA wants to make easier to get.” As one expert pointed out a little later, putting suppressors on the guns this guy used would have still emitted a noise level roughly equal to that of a jackhammer. Also, it probably would have been a blessing had the guy tried to use suppressors, since they would have likely made his guns overheat and fail before they finished firing their first clip.
- But Democrats never let facts get in the way of a good narrative. Thus,within a few hours, pretty much every “leader” of the national Democrat Party weighed in with their own personal brands of ignorance and demagoguery. All in keeping with the Democrat motto, “Never let a good crisis go to waste,” even when there are 59 dead bodies involved.
Just another day in Americans deserve better than this America.
That is all.