Today’s Campaign Update
(Because The Campaign Never Ends)
- It couldn’t happen to a nicer guy. – Man, you know you’re having a bad day when the company with your name on it, the company you personally founded, comes to you and says “you’re fired!” But that’s exactly what happened to producer of mediocre films and all-around high Hollywood muckety-muck Harvey Weinstein on Sunday, as the Weinstein Company’s board of directors, including his own brother, unanimously voted to can him. That’s a really bad day.
- It’s important to note that the Weinstein Company’s board of directors did not fire Weinstein because they found out about their CEO’s serial abuse of women. They fired him because the rest of us found out about it. Big difference.
- In case you’re feeling all warm and fuzzy with the fake journalists and fake editors who infest the NYTimes for running the story that brought Weinstein down, well, don’t. Writing in The Wrap, former Times reporter Sharon Waxman details how she had this story nailed in…wait for it…2004, but that, thanks to immense pressure put on the Times by Weinstein and actors Matt Damon and Russell Crowe, the fake editors at the fake newspaper gutted her story of all reference to the high muckety-muck’s abuse of women and buried the remainder of her story in bowels of the Culture section.
- Much like many of his own productions, there are no good guys in this particular film. No intrepid journalists exposing corruption, no valiant actors or actresses doing the right thing at risk of their own personal careers, no principled politicians who refuse to take money from a man they know to be a woman abuser. No socially-redeeming characters here at all.
- Speaking of “steins”, California Senator Dianne Feinstein (who was happy to take money from Harvey Weinstein), right in the middle of her latest effort to ban gun ownership in America, openly admitted in an interview on Face The Nation on Sunday that there is no law, either on the books or that she could pass, that would have stopped the Las Vegas gunman: “No, he passed background checks registering for handguns and other weapons on multiple occasions,” she told host John Dickerson. Well, duh.
- But of course, that did not stop the gun-grabbing Senator from California from going ahead and talking about how she has all sorts of ideas on gun laws, which she did not specify, that would “make things safer.” The next logical question for any real journalist would be “Can you be specific about what those ideas are, Senator?” But Ms. Feinstein is a Democrat, and thus exempt from the asking of any follow-up questions that might reveal the emptiness of her ideas.
- So she was just allowed to ramble on about how the question of “bump stocks” requires a bill – which she just happens to have in-hand – and can’t be resolved via a regulatory review by the BATFE, which ruled the things to be legal in 2010. Which, of course, may or may not be true, and we won’t know until the agency has performed its regulatory review. Sen. Feinstein at one point stated that “Regulations aren’t going to do it. We need a law. It can’t be changed by another president. Right now we’re seeing one president change actions of a – of a president that came before him, and that would happen in this area.”
- That statement doesn’t really make sense and seems self-contradictory, but the Senator seems to be claiming there that BATFE in the Trump Administration cannot reverse a regulatory ruling made during the Barack Obama Administration. This is abject nonsense. As the Trump Administration has already shown in literally hundreds of instances already, federal agencies can indeed reverse or modify regulatory rulings made years earlier, as long as they have the legal justification for doing so. We won’t know if BATFE can find a legal hook for reversing its earlier approval of the bump stock toy until the regulatory review has been performed. This is how our government works.
- The reality with Sen. Feinstein is that she wants to do a bill for the sake of doing a bill, so that she can take credit for “doing something”, even if it is, as a practical matter, meaningless. Because making futile gestures in the name of “doing something” so they can take political credit is what Democrats do.
Just another day in Democrat gun-grabbing America.
That is all.
Today’s Campaign Update
(Because The Campaign Never Ends)
- The Left is now eating its own. – Hollywood producer of mediocre films and general high muckety-muck Harvey Weinstein was revealed by the news fakers at the New York Times on Wednesday to be a serial woman abuser who has entered into at least 8 settlements of sexual harassment lawsuits over the last quarter century. This story was apparently real – it’s not about Donald Trump or Russia, after all – because Weinstein felt the need to issue a standard progressive non-apology apology later in the day that sounded like it came right out of the Bill Clinton playbook. Which is appropriate, given that Weinstein has been a big donor to both Clintons, Barack Obama, Dianne Feinstein, Barbara Boxer, Nancy Pelosi and many other Democrat luminaries during the same years in which he was abusing women.
- Progressive activists began demanding that all these Democrat politicians donate any contributions received from Weinstein over the years to various women’s charities. Thus far, only Sen. Patrick Leahy has chosen to do so, though we can expect some others to do the same. But those who expect anyone named Clinton to give back any money for which they spent all those years shamelessly clawing and grasping is likely to be disappointed. Hell, Bill’s still trying to figure out what all the fuss is about here.
- And then there’s Carolina Panthers QB Cam Newton, who has become a hero of the unpatriotic left in recent weeks by engaging in various acts of disrespect to the flag during the playing of the national anthem. Turns out that one can be a progressive hero only so long as one does not violate the norms of political correctness. In a press conference on Wednesday, Newton made a snarky, insulting remark in response to a question about receivers running routes from a female reporter, an act for which he definitely deserves to be reprimanded. But oh, my, a reprimand is the least of Cam’s worries.
- This is what happens when you lie down with dogs. – Cam has now become public enemy number 1 among the hard left contingent that now infests America’s sports media at all levels. So much so that he has begun to lose sponsors as a result of all the negative media he is getting. Thus, Mr. Newton has now forfeited all the weeks of hard work disrespecting Old Glory and the Star Spangled Banner with a single dim-witted misogynistic slip of the tongue. These athletes are going to find their new progressive masters to be very demanding of their personal behavior. Tough.
- Wait, they’re giving us what we want? Why, they can’t do that! – All the fake reporters and talking heads in the fake news media spent Tuesday through mid-day Thursday screaming at the top of their fake lungs about the need to get rid of Bump Stocks, the shooter’s toy that enabled the Las Vegas murderer to effectively turn semi-automatic weapons into fully-automatic guns. But then the NRA, early Thursday afternoon, issued a statement supporting a review by the BATF to determine whether or not these toys really are in compliance with federal law (as someone we all know and love had suggested they do on Wednesday evening), and all the fake reporters and fake talking heads stopped in mid-scream, looked around and said “Wait, what?”
- So they all fumbled around for about 2 hours until new talking points could be developed at Fake News Central, and by 3:00 they were all saying in unison that “Well, you can ban bump stocks, but don’t think that’s going to be the end of this!” And then they all started chanting in their best Tibetan Monk tones “We need universal background checks. We must have universal background checks. We need universal background checks. We must have…” ok, you get it.
- They always go to universal background checks, for two reasons: 1) they don’t really have anything else, and 2) because they love to recite the phrase “Gun show loophole.” It sort of rhymes, and all progressives are just frustrated poets with very mean streaks. In the current case, this progressive monk-ish chant ignores the reality that the Las Vegas killer, during the course of his career – which included stints at the IRS and with at least one defense contractor – and in accumulating his arsenal of firearms has reportedly submitted to more than 2 dozen FBI background checks during his adult life, and passed them all. In other words, this is just one more meaningless Democrat/fake news media talking point designed to mislead the public.
- But hey, that is after all what these people do for a living.
Just another day in lefties eating their own America.
That is all.