Today’s Campaign Update
(Because The Campaign Never Ends)
- Senator Rand Paul has a real opportunity this week to turn himself into a real, true presidential contender in either 2020, should President Trump not run for re-election, or in 2024. He can do that by becoming the deciding vote to pass the Graham/Cassidy Obamacare reform bill in the U.S. Senate. Yes, he would need either Lisa Murkowski or Susan Collins to also act like real Republicans and support the bill, but Murkowski definitely seems to be get-able in that regard.
- Think about it: By casting that single vote, Rand Paul could become a hero to President Trump’s voter base – which according to recent polls makes up a strong majority of the GOP’s total voter base – a hero to everyone who hates the execrable jerk John McCain – which also makes up a majority of the GOP total voter base – and a hero to the millions of Americans who have seen their ability to access real healthcare insurance decimated by Obamacare. Yes, it would go against the Senator’s precious libertarian principles, but at some point, if he truly wants to be president – as he seemed to sort of want to during the 2016 campaign – actually getting stuff done is going to have to supersede those principles.
- This week could be a real, true Rand Paul moment. Is he smart enough to realize it, and take advantage of it? Sadly, the smart money is probably on ‘no.’
- How stupid are NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and many NFL owners? They are so damn stupid that, when President Trump went off on their ridiculous failure to discipline players who are killing their product’s TV ratings (down 20% in the last two seasons) that they actually responded by defending those players. That, folks, take stupid to previously unknown heights.
- The NFL seems to have lost sight of who makes up most of its audience. The preponderance of the NFL’s audience is made up of blue-collar working class Americans, the overwhelming mass of whom think it is really important to honor this country’s flag by standing during the national anthem. It is not a coincidence that the NFL has seen its TV ratings go into free-fall since Collin Kaepernick started his “look at me” act on the sidelines, and was able to continue to do so without consequence.
- Some apologists for these player like to argue that the NFL’s ratings are down because their games are boring. Hell, NFL games have been boring people stiff for a quarter of a century now, but the ratings didn’t start collapsing until the National Anthem protests started. If the NFL brass – except for Jerry Jones, who has made it clear to his Dallas Cowboys that they will stand for the Anthem or be benched – wants to pretend its problem has nothing to do with the protests, then no one will be able to halt the killing of the League’s Golden Goose.
- All that having been said, I have no doubt at all that all these NFL social justice warriors who today kneel on the sidelines while making millions of dollars a year will be far happier in the future, when their non-football skill sets allow them to earn $12 per hour putting boxes onto trucks at the loading docks behind the local Wal Mart. So you go, guys! Power to the people!!!!!!
- I just can’t wait to see how many NBA players start their own kneeling acts during the playing of the National Anthems before their games. That’s going to be awesome, and make the NFL’s SJWs look like child’s play by comparison. Given that I haven’t watched a full NBA game since about 1988, the death of that sport will make no difference in my life anyway.
- And the virus has even spread into major league baseball, as Bruce Maxwell, a nitwit mediocrity for the also-ran Oakland A’s decided he needed some attention on Saturday, too. This one kind of bothers me, since I’ve just begun to watch MLB games again this season, but as long as it doesn’t spread to the Texas Rangers or Los Angeles Dodgers, I’ll be cool.
- Hey, I’m old enough to remember when all SJWs went absolutely berserk and demanded punishing a player named Tim Tebow, who kneeled in prayer to God before NFL games. I also remember how the same sports and establishment fake news media that is today supporting the anti-flag kneelers ridiculed Tebow for expressing his beliefs in that way. Funny how that works.
Just another day in Social Justice Warrior America.
That is all.