Today’s Campaign Update
(Because The Campaign Never Ends)
- If you want proof that Republicans and Democrats live in two completely different sets of reality, all you need to do is go read the piece linked here summarizing a new Gallup survey regarding Americans’ trust in the fake news media. According to Gallup – whose results admittedly must always be called into question since it refuses to publicly release the sampling methods behind its polling – fully 72% of Democrats have “a great deal/fair amount of trust and confidence” in the accuracy of the country’s fake news media, while just 14% of Republicans and 37% of Independents admit to holding the same view.
- Let that set in for a moment. As an example, when President Trump visited Houston in the wake of Hurricane Harvey, he was filmed by all media present interacting with literally hundreds of ordinary people, hugging them, talking to them, coloring pages with their children, helping them load their trucks with supplies, working behind the lunch counter at the shelter, etc. It was an extraordinary example of presidential leadership and empathy with the common man. Yet that evening, when CNN and MSNBC both falsely reported that the President had met no one, interacted with no one, and ignored the suffering of those people, Gallup tells us that 72% of the nation’s Democrats believed those reports, despite the video evidence before their own lyin’ eyes.
- That’s not just a disconnect, that is conscious, intentional exercise in mass self-delusion. Given that self-described “Democrats” make up about 35% of adults, Gallup’s results indicate that roughly one out of every four adults you come across lives in a complete and total fake media-created fantasy world. Truly frightening.
- This brings me to a long piece published in Time on Wednesday, which attempts to analyze how the Democrat Party’s ‘leaders’, such as they are, are trying desperately to get the Party’s act together in preparation for the 2018 mid-term elections and the 2020 presidential contest. It’s a decent, if superficial, analysis, focused mainly on the Party’s math problem in terms of how few levers of power it actually controls, its pathetic fundraising efforts, and the conflicts among the Party’s current ‘leaders’ – again, such as they are – over whether to continue trying to attract the independent voters who will make or break their efforts to win races, or just chuck it all and take the Bernie Sanders/Elizabeth Warren turn to the hard left.
- In other words, the piece is all the standard ‘insider’ stuff written by a standard DC ‘insider’ fake reporter. It’s all the sort of stuff that actually mattered in the days before the 2016 campaign and President Donald Trump, but now really just doesn’t get to the heart of the matter and which betrays a complete lack of real understanding of what is going on in the 95% of the country that lies outside of the nation’s major media centers.
- Here’s the reality for the Democrat Party: The Party has to completely change the faces that represent it in order to have any chance at all to regain real levers of power through the electoral process. And that is a process of change that will take years, not weeks or months, to achieve.
- The faces of the Democrat Party today are a) Corruption (Hillary Clinton), b) Commies (Bernie Sanders), c) fraud (Elizabeth “Fauxcahontas” Warren), d) open borders radicalism (DNC leaders), e) dishonesty and incompetence (Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer) and f) thuggery (Antifa, Black Lives Matter, and other Soros-supported civil unrest groups). If they’re smart (always an open question, I admit), Republican candidates in 2018 and 2020 won’t be spending their time and money running against their nominal Democrat opponents, they will be spending most of their time and money running against all these ugly, grossly unpopular faces of the Democrat Party as a whole.
- Democrat candidates for office can talk all they want to about all the “free stuff” they plan to hand out to anyone who votes for them, but when the face of your Party is San Fran Nan, or black-masked thugs who spend their time violently assaulting political opponents and tossing bags filled with urine at policemen, those promises of “free stuff” are going to largely fall on deaf ears. Time talks about Democrat efforts to turn 24 currently-GOP congressional seats to their advantage in order to regain a majority in the House of Representatives. Time doesn’t really talk about how inevitably leftwing Democrat candidates are going to convince moderate and conservative voters in these “flyover country” districts to vote for them when the GOP incumbents are running ad after ad featuring the Commie, the Most Corrupt Woman in America, or video of town squares being burned by the armed “Resistance” wing of the Democrat Party.
- As we’ve seen in this year’s special elections, the GOP was able to retain all five congressional seats in play, even when its candidates were weak or damaged, mainly by simply running ads featuring the stumbling, bumbling, doddering Nancy Pelosi. They haven’t even gotten around to running ads airing all the glowing, supportive statements about Antifa and Black Lives Matter coming from the mouths of Pelosi, Schumer, Obama, Clinton, Sanders and Warren, complete with video of Berkeley or St. Louis burning in the background.
- This is the Democrats’ real problem for 2018 and 2020, and the foreseeable future beyond. We can count on all the “experts” in DC and New York to completely miss it, but it’s real, and there is no apparent solution to it. Regardless of how poorly the Republicans perform in their congressional efforts, their saving grace is likely to be the fact that they get to run for re-election against the ugly, sordid faces of the Democrat Party.
Just another day in Donald Trump’s America.
That is all.