Just a status update on the functionality of this site and the plans for moving forward:
– As you know, due to bugs in the system that were beyond my control, I lost access to my own website for a full week just before Christmas. I ended up biting the bullet and spending a bunch of money getting it back up and running once it became clear I could not rely on service providers I had previously been using.
– Service Provider: My new service provider has the site up and running in good form now and is in the process of fully optimizing it. It functions much more quickly and reliably now, and that is thanks to their sterling efforts.
– COMMENTS: I am aware of the issues with posting comments and my service providers are looking at it and trying to figure out what is going on there. We may end up deciding to go with a plugin that would likely correct the issue. However, it would also likely require all of you to re-register, supplying an email and picking a user name. If that happens, I apologize in advance for the inconvenience.
– LANDING PAGE: I am also aware of the issue with the site’s landing page and the inconvenience that is causing some readers. We are working on getting that weird problem fixed as well and I am confident it will be resolved soon. [UPDATE: The landing page is now fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.]
– SITE FORMAT: I am also considering investing in a revised format for the site, one that would give it a cleaner look and hopefully better functionality. I will let you know in advance if and when that might be coming.
When I went into this endeavor four years ago next week, I was complete novice to all of it. Things ran amazingly smoothly with very rare issues for more than 3 years, but it all went to hell after COVID hit and my former web hosting service (I like to call it the Comcast of web hosting services) hired a huge army of ill-trained “support” staff to deal with everyone suddenly working from home. From about June forward, I have received essentially zero reliable customer service from that hosting provider. Thus, the decision was made to invest in a new, far more reliable company.
So, this has all become a lot more expensive for me, but at the same time my traffic to this site has rocketed upwards, quadrupling during 2020 alone. As a result, the money I make from advertising, while really not much, has increased enough to justify the ongoing investment.
When I started this site, I vowed to my few readers at that time that I would work hard to avoid ever charging for access to it. I’m proud that I have managed to keep that vow, and will continue to work towards that end.
I don’t have enough of an ego to believe I am somehow indispensable to anyone, but I do think what we are all doing here is important or the audience for it would not continue rising as rapidly as it has. I started this blog because I wanted to in my own way document the events of the Donald Trump presidency. That presidency may be about to come to an end in just three weeks, but if it does, the legacy of this most accomplished President in modern U.S. history will live on for many years to come.
During the week I was locked out of my own site I seriously contemplated just ending this effort along with the Trump presidency. But I’m not ready to give up on this – or the Trump presidency for that matter – just yet.
Thanks for your patience and the contributions so many of you make to the vibrant discussion at DBDailyUpdate each and every day. This has been one of the great joys of my life, and I hope we can keep it all going for many more years to come.
That is all.