Today’s Campaign Update, Part II (Because the Campaign Never Ends)
Thursday evening, President Trump issued the following tweet:
Thank you to our great US Ambassador to Germany, @RichardGrenell, for stepping in to serve as acting DNI. I will be nominating a terrific candidate for the job very soon. Stay tuned!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 21, 2020
Speculation Friday morning centers around the President’s intention to nominate outgoing Georgia Congressman Doug Collins to the post. If true, this could be a stroke of Trumpian genius. Here’s why:
- Collins recently announced he would leave his House seat in order to challenge incumbent Republican Senator Kelly Loeffler for her job;
- Loeffler was appointed to that seat last year by Georgia Governor Brian Kemp when Johnny Isakson had to retire due to health reasons, even though President Trump had urged him to appoint Collins;
- Mitch McConnell favored Loeffler for that seat, since she is more of an “establishment” Republican than Collins is;
- McConnell was reportedly quite upset when Collins announced he would challenge Loeffler for the GOP nomination;
- Trump has found it difficult – indeed, impossible – to obtain Senate approval for the appointment of someone truly loyal to him to the DNI position;
- The Deep State skunks who infest the Senate Committee on Intelligence (SCI) want to see that post remain in the hands of Deep State flunkies like outgoing Acting DNI Joseph Maguire;
- The only way around the SCI roadblock on this position is Cocaine Mitch, who has the personal power to manipulate his GOP majorities on the SCI and in the full Senate to approve any Trump nominee;
- McConnell had no compelling interest in deploying his personal political capital to back Texas Congressman John Ratcliffe when the President nominated him for this key post last summer; thus, Ratcliffe could not obtain support from the SCI skunks;
- On the other hand, McConnell DOES have a compelling interest to use that political capital to help Collins be confirmed, since he vastly prefers to deal with establishment, Chamber of Commerce-type Republicans like Loeffler than true conservatives like Collins;
- Even better, the GOP skunks on the SCI also prefer dealing with a Kelly Loeffler over dealing with a Doug Collins.
Politics is a very interesting and complex game – the give and take of it, the never-ending machinations and skullduggery, the constant search for leveraging one player’s interests here in order to obtain their support over there, is infinitely fascinating.
It seems very likely to me that this is the President’s gambit in floating Collins’ name for this position. If so, it’s a brilliant one because it meets the wishes and needs of so many of the key players whose support will be necessary to see the nomination through to confirmation.
And if Collins is rejected by the SCI members due to his support of Trump, then the President would be well-justified to just keep rotating a procession of Acting DNIs into the post every 6 months for the duration of his presidency. There is no reason why any president should be forced to keep putting people he knows to be disloyal snakes into such a crucial job.
As the President loves to say, let’s see what happens.
That is all.
Today’s news moves at a faster pace than ever. Whatfinger.com is my go-to source for keeping up with all the latest events in real time.