Today’s Campaign Update
(Because The Campaign Never Ends)
- Kurt Schlichter, who has become the most provocative and frankly most enjoyable conservative opinion writer working today, penned a piece on Thursday titled “Politically Correct Hollywood Is Doomed.” In the piece, he hilariously imagines the release of a series of films with politically correct themes and titles like Xe-Day, and Dirty Harriet, in coming years, all of which would miserably fail at the box office. It’s highly recommended reading – it will be five minutes well-invested, trust me.
- Turns out, though, that we don’t need Mr. Schlichter to make up imaginary films that fail miserably at the box office: As the Wall Street Journal points out this morning, Hollywood is already cranking such duds out at an amazing pace, and theater owners are beginning to panic. This summer’s box office take was down 5% compared to 2016, which wasn’t much of a year to brag about, either.
- Of the season’s projected blockbuster action flicks – which included the execrable Johnny Depp slouching through yet another rehash of Pirates of the Caribbean, for crying out loud – only Wonder Woman can be termed a smashing success, as it grossed over half a billion dollars in the U.S. alone. But that female super-hero flick was more than offset by tankers like King Arthur: Clash of Swords (grossed just $39 million on a budget of $175 million) and a horrific remake of The Mummy (grossed just $69 million in the U.S. on a budget of $345 million), which inexplicably starred Tom Cruise and Russell Crowe.
- People in Hollywood appear to be mystified as to why their films aren’t making as much money as they used to, but they’re all morons who have no understanding of any American who lives outside of their tiny bubble, so we should expect nothing else from them. The corporate suits who run the big theater chains appear equally mystified, but again, that thing about morons in bubbles applies.
- Because of that lack of understanding, we can rest assured that Hollywood will continue cranking out action “blockbusters” that no one really wants to see (Like, we really needed yet another remake of The Mummy? Who demanded that?), un-funny comedies whose “humor” trends more towards depravity and disgust with each passing year, and “dramas” that have no relevance to the lives of any American who does not live in Hollywood or New York City. Meanwhile, Hollywood’s real, most obvious problem will go un-addressed.
- What is that obvious problem, you ask? Ok, guess it’s not that obvious after all. Look, the film industry’s most obvious problem is that its major stars can’t keep their silly, dim-witted mouths shut on issues of politics and morality. No American who lives in the 95% of the country outside of Hollywood and Manhattan needs to be lectured about politics by the likes of Meryl Streep. No one out here in flyover country has any desire to take morality advice from Lena Dunham or the mentally deranged Ashley Judd. We neither want nor need nitwits like Will Ferrell or Matt Damon lecturing us on the presidential or congressional races, nor do we desire advice on environmental matters from the likes Leonardo DiCaprio, who has a carbon footprint roughly equal to that of Rome, Italy.
- The constant drumbeat of leftist political claptrap coming out of Hollywood amounts to a withering, unending assault on the sensibilities of half of the American population, perhaps more. You want to know why the Academy Awards ceremony this year had the second-lowest ratings in the program’s history? This is why. You want to know why nobody wants to see Russell Crowe or Tom Cruise in The Mummy? This is a big reason why. You want to know why the ratings for the late night talk shows are a fraction of what they were 30 years ago? This is why.
- The average American wants movie stars to shut up and act, singers to shut up and sing, directors to shut up and direct, script writers to shut up and write, and producers to shut up and produce. But of course, Hollywood is made up almost entirely of desperate, grasping attention-seekers, so that’s never going to happen.
- The inevitable result will be a complete revamping of the Hollywood film industry model in coming years, as the industry continues to become less profitable. A decade from now, all the big box theater chains will be out of business, most if not all films will be immediately available on pay-per-view, and the industry will bear little resemblance to what exists today.
- We don’t need Kurt Schlichter to imagine all of that for us, because it is happening right before our very eyes.
Just another day in Shut Up And Act America.
That is all.
- Happy Tax Day! Oh, wait, that’s Monday. No, wait, Monday’s a holiday for people in Washington DC for some reason (I don’t care what it is, so don’t tell me), so Tax Day is actually next Tuesday. That gives me three more full days to file my annual 6-month extension of time to file. Cool!
- Liawatha prepping to go on warpath.: Elizabeth Warren, the Fake Indian Senator from Massachusetts, is releasing a book. Aren’t you thrilled? The theme of the book is basically, “Why I didn’t run for president in 2016.” Which means the fake Indian, without any question at all, is going to run for president in 2020. Notably, pre-sales for the book have been dismal, which could be a reflection of her current polling numbers in her home state. Hey, maybe even in Massachusetts, one can only run a very public fraud for so long.
- Who, me? Oh, pshaw.: Meanwhile, UN Ambassador Nikki Haley told an interviewer that she “can’t imagine running for president.” That means she is definitely running for president whenever the chance presents itself, and given the way she’s doing her job at the UN, that would probably not be a bad thing.
- It’s not our job to tell both sides…well, unless we agree with the liar.: ABC’s fake journalist and life-long Clinton sycophant George Stephanopolous, in a panel discussion on Friday, said it is not the fake news media’s job to report both sides of a story, and that it should in fact silence anyone who does not “accept reality.” Interestingly, he was not asked by the moderator why, given his belief, he spent years as the press spokesman for the nation’s first pathologically lying sociopath president. Nor was he asked why he didn’t act to silence Susan Rice when she spent half an hour on his Sunday morning fake news show in September 2012 blaming the assault on the U.S. embassy in Benghazi on an Internet video. Nor was he asked why he didn’t act to silence Barack Obama when he claimed his administration didn’t spy on fake journalists just like him. Nor was he asked why he didn’t act to silence Hillary Clinton when she claimed she didn’t know anything about the illegal email server she used for four years. Funny how these panel discussions work.
- Is this kind of content really why people subscribe to the Financial Times?: Unendingly obnoxious minor celebrity Lena Dunham told an interviewer with the Financial Times that Hillary Clinton’s loss was “heartbreaking” for her. I know, I know, you’re as sick of hearing about Lena Dunham’s bed-wetting over the election outcome as I am. But this blurb just made me think, why in the hell is the Financial Times interviewing Lena Dunham? Seriously.
- Here at Wellesley, the beatings will continue until you love us.: The student newspaper at Wellesley College came right out and admitted the truth about its fascist goals, publishing an op-ed that advocates violence against those who don’t conform to whatever the school’s progressive/fascist majority believes. “[I]f people are given the resources to learn and either continue to speak hate speech or refuse to adapt their beliefs, then hostility may be warranted,” the piece said. Funny, that’s sort of how I feel about anyone who still thinks Hillary Clinton isn’t a pathologically lying scumbag. It’s the progressive/fascist in me coming out, I guess.
Just another Good Friday in Trump Derangement Syndrome America.
That is all.
Illustration Credit: Fireandreamitchell.com
- All of the City of Dallas’s 156 emergency warning sirens were hacked and activated dozens of times Friday evening, setting off near-panic among some of the city’s citizens. Not one of the local network affiliate TV stations, whose weather people regularly interrupt prime time programming whenever three or four drops of rain start to fall, chose to break into their prime time programming to inform their viewers that there was nothing to worry about. Indeed, the only information the public received before Saturday morning on the situation came from a Tweet from the local FBI office. Your fake news media in action.
- In a predictably softball interview with the fake NY Times reporter Nicholas Kristoff this week, The Most Corrupt Woman in America predictably blamed a whole bunch of other people for her loss last November. Taking a share of the blame were our bi-polar FBI Director, James Comey; WikiLeaks; the “weaponization of information”, whatever that means; Bernie Sanders; and of course, the Democrats’ favorite boogeyman, the RUSSIANS!!!!!!!!! She of course did not blame her incompetent campaign manager John Podesta, who basically made his email account public by falling for an amateurish phishing email. Nor did she blame the outrageous behavior of supporting celebrities like Lena Dunham, Miley Cyrus, Samuel L, Jackson, Whoopi Goldberg, Alec Baldwin and Amy Schumer, who all worked very hard to alienate middle America’s blue collar workers. And of course she did not blame herself, her own incompetence, her abject lack of appeal as a candidate, her horrible speaking style, her stupid tactical decisions, her illegal email activities, and her pathological lying. But of course, that last part explains everything, doesn’t it?
- Hey, remember Friday, when Swedish officials predictably announced (it’s part of the playbook now) that the Islamic terrorist who drove his truck through a crowd and murdered four people was a “lone wolf”? Yeah, that was a lie. They arrested another guy yesterday. Didn’t publicize it, hoping no one will notice. This is how law enforcement all over the free world deals with Islamic terrorism now – lies and wishful thinking. That is a recipe for cultural suicide.
- Former President George W. Bush wrote an op-ed in the Washington Post on Friday, appealing to President Trump to not cut funding to the African AIDS assistance program that he initiated while president. No word why the former president felt the need to make his appeal via the fake news media, when he surely had a phone available to him.
- Tired of winning yet? ICE officials announced a 250% increase in arrests of illegal aliens with violent criminal records, apprehending 368 in a single week (including 153 in Texas), with a focus on “members of the violent MS-13 gang and illegals charged with sex crimes against kids.” Progressives all over the nation were horrified by this news. Which is why you should never even think about becoming a progressive.
- Meanwhile, President Trump’s summit meeting with Chinese leader Xi went extremely well, with the U.S. President and first family receiving high praise in the Chinese media. Progressives everywhere are horrified by this news as well.
Just another day in Never Become a Progressive America.
That is all.
- You don’t say. Did he make you obnoxious, too? – The Hollywood Reporter reports that Barbra Streisand is now blaming President Donald Trump for making her gain weight. On Sunday, she Tweeted that “I start the day with liquids, but after the morning news, I eat pancakes smothered in maple syrup!” You may remember that Streisand’s fellow Hollywood nut-job, Lena Dunham, recently told Howard Stern that President Trump was making her LOSE weight. Ladies, we don’t care which it is, we all just wish you’d keep your promise and move to Canada, mmm-kay?
- Bill Clinton would claim that that it isn’t really ‘sex’ at all – The Austin American Statesman reports that a man named Eleodora Estada was arrested for “having sex with a fence.” No word if the fence is pressing charges, or if congressional Democrats will now be moving to make fences a new federally-protected class.
- Our reporting is fake, but without evidence. Wait, what? – The fake news media spent the entire weekend claiming President Trump had accused former President Barack Hussein Obama of wiretapping Trump Tower “without evidence.” This was the narrative that literally every fake news outlet, from CNN to the NY Times, used in its fake reporting on the matter, in yet another obviously joint effort with the Democratic Party. The trouble with the fake media suddenly wanting “evidence” in this entire fake ‘Trump coordinated with Russia to fix the election’ narrative that it and the Democrats have now been pushing for five months is that their own fake reporting has been based entirely on the alleged “FBI intercepts” of alleged communications between the two camps. The term “FBI intercepts” – which the NY Times has repeatedly used in its fake reports on this fake issue since January – is simply another term for “wiretaps.” Thus, if the fake media wants to claim that the President made his allegation “without evidence”, that is a tacit admission that all the fake reporting on this fake issue by the fake media is, well, fake. But then again, that is what the fake news media does.
- Hey, y’all, let’s see if we can out-bi-polar James Comey! – The NY Times ran a report late Sunday that our bi-polar FBI Director, James Comey, had asked the Justice Department on Saturday to refute President Trump’s claim about wiretapping. According to the NY Times – which, in its own bi-polar way, alternately claims that “FBI intercepts” exist, but that there is “no evidence” to support the President’s claim – Mr. Comey is concerned that the claim by the President implies the FBI broke the law. Like everything else in the NY Times, that is of course not true – the President’s claim is that the Obama Administration followed the FISA court process not once, but twice, and was finally able to obtain a court order to proceed. Given that the entire basis for this latest NY Times fake report is the word of unidentified “senior American officials”, whatever that means, it is as likely as not that Mr. Comey never made any such request of the Justice Department. But if he did, he’ll probably change his mind about it today.
Just another fake news weekend in Trump Derangement Syndrome America.
That is all. Maybe. I could go either way.