Today’s Campaign Update
(Because The Campaign Never Ends)
- The Democrat Party left him. – West Virginia Governor Big Jim Justice announced yesterday that he will be changing his party affiliation from Democrat to Republican. This move is most likely motivated by simple political survival instincts, as Donald Trump won the state in 2016 by an enormous margin over Hillary Clinton. Justice’s shift means that the GOP now controls 34 of the 50 governor’s offices in the country, and controls both the governorship and legislatures in 26 of 50 states. This is the legacy of the abuses of the Obama years. Thanks, Barack!
- Et tu, Joe? – One can only wonder how much longer it will take WVA’s Senator Joe Manchin to make a similar political calculation. Manchin is without doubt the most moderate Democrat in the senate today, and would likely vote with the Republicans well over half the time were he left to his own devices and not often held hostage to hardcore partisan politics. He’d better think fast, since he’s up for re-election next year in what has become one of the reddest red states in the country since his last election bid in 2012, thanks mainly to public reaction against Barack Obama’s aggressive efforts to kill the state’s coal industry.
- Are we past the Senatorial trading deadline? – Speaking of party switchers, nominally Republican Sen. From the News Media John McCain told the Arizona Republic on Thursday that he is in talks with one party’s senate leader about reviving the whole Gang of 8 Immigration “Reform” (i.e. open borders and amnesty) plan! Of course, that party leader is Chuck Schumer, not Mitch McConnell. Hey, here’s an idea, how about the Republicans just offer to trade John McCain for Joe Manchin, and call it even? At least then, both men would be inhabiting their natural environments.
- McCain logic 101. – Oh, but the Senator From the News Media wasn’t done. He also has decided that the whole 16 year ongoing fiasco in Afghanistan is all the fault of …wait for it…DONALD TRUMP! Yes, Senator, because everything was always great in Afghanistan for the 15 years prior to January 20, right? My goodness.
- By the way, if you are sitting there thinking that McCain’s latest bits of mendacity might mean that he is not in his right mind due to his fight against a very aggressive form of brain cancer, think again. This is McCain in his right mind – it’s just that his right mind has always been wrong.
- Bloomberg is reporting that National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster has concluded all by himself that Susan Rice is just a wonderful person whose national security top secret clearance needed to be renewed, and taken action to unilaterally renew it himself. Isn’t that great? Just further proof that some folks just need firing, and John Kelly needs to get busy.
- They’re a determined bunch. – A year ago today, congressional Republicans were the single most hated segment of the Washington DC establishment. They got lucky, though, as the Trump Campaign bailed them out of what otherwise would have been a major defeat at the polls. But they have squandered that good fortune, and are now, a year later, right back into the same situation, thanks in large part to their refusal to move on the major elements of the Trump agenda. In its latest poll released yesterday, Quinnipiac places congressional public approval at a record low 10%, down from 18% in March. It wasn’t easy to squander such a golden opportunity, but it is impossible to overestimate the ability of a bunch of Republicans to screw up a good thing. Great work, guys and gals!
- Oh, yeah, and Special Swamp Creature Robert Mueller leaked that he has convened a grand jury so he can start issuing subpoenas now. The Swamp is intent on taking this President down, and perfectly willing to take the country down with him if need be. Don’t kid yourselves otherwise.
Just another day feckless Republicans America.
That is all.