Today’s Campaign Update
(Because The Campaign Never Ends)
- Deputy National Security Advisor Sebastian Gorka resigned late Friday, leaving behind a plaintive, drama-filled letter of resignation. The letter is fairly long, but this passage neatly encapsulates its sentiments: “[G]iven recent events, it is clear to me that forces that do not support the MAGA promise are – for now – ascendant within the White House. As a result, the best and most effective way I can support you, Mr. President, is from outside the People’s House.” So, Dr. Gorka is the latest of the original set of Trump advisors to be forced out of the White House by Chief of Staff John Kelly and National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster. But don’t worry about the good doctor: in its own report on the resignation, Breitbart notes that it is currently negotiating a deal to bring him on staff as a commentator. He won’t be going hungry anytime soon.
- Don’t get me wrong here – I like Dr. Gorka and have always found him to be an astute analyst of the problem of Islamic terrorism. As such, I’d much rather have him in the White House than outside of it. But President Trump has made his choices for who his senior advisors will be, and has clearly gone with the Generals. These generals serve at the pleasure of the President, so if Mr. Trump were unhappy with the many staff changes that have taken place since General Kelly assumed his new position, he’d have full power to stop them. That that hasn’t happened tells us all we need to know.
- Mr. Gorka’s letter also contains the following ominous sentence: “The fact that those who drafted and approved the speech [on the situation in Afghanistan] removed any mention of Radical Islam or radical Islamic terrorism proves that a crucial element of your presidential campaign has been lost.” This is nonsense, a sentence Mr. Gorka no doubt drafted in a fit of pique. The fact that the speech did not include the utterance of either of those phrases does not at all mean that the President has lost focus on eradicating ISIS, Al Qaeda and the Taliban, or on punishing nations like Pakistan that harbor those and other Islamic terrorist groups. The U.S. military campaign to eradicate ISIS continues to produce excellent results, and the President, in his speech, gave his generals explicit authority to step up the campaign on Al Qaeda and the Taliban.
- Indeed, despite the exit in recent weeks of several “Trump loyalists” (as the fake media describes them) during August, there is no noticeable corresponding let-up in the Trump agenda. This week we have seen the President pardon Sheriff Joe Arpaio, reversing a kangaroo court ruling by an outlaw left wing judge; threaten to shut down the government if he doesn’t get funding for the border wall; order General James Mattis to indefinitely suspend recruitment of trans-genders into the military forces; and prepare paperwork necessary to end DACA, yet another Obama-era open borders program.
- Those are just the high-profile items that the fake news media has made a big deal of. There continue to be dozens of administration initiatives taking place under the radar to reorganize inefficient bureaucracies, rescind or rewrite horrible Obama-era regulations – like EPA’s heinous “Waters of the U.S.” power grab – and fire or isolate disloyal apparatchiks at various agencies.
- This has been the story of the Trump Administration for seven months now: While the fake news media focuses on sensational stories like Russia Collusion, Charlottesville riots and Civil War statue removals, the Administration’s senior leadership continues to execute revolutionary changes in the way the government functions while flying underneath the media radar.
- So don’t worry about Sebastian Gorka. He’ll be just fine. Like Steve Bannon, he may well be a more effective advocate for Trump policies at Breitbart than from within the White House, as his own letter states. Meanwhile, the Trump agenda continues to move forward. Hey, maybe these generals are “Trump loyalists”, too. Just a thought.
Just another day in White House revolving door America.
That is all.