I’ve written entirely too much about the Jones Act this year, but like a bad penny, it just keeps turning up in the public discourse. Last time I addressed this subject, it was over an effort by the U.S. shipping industry actually expand this pernicious and archaic protectionist law, an effort that thankfully failed thanks to some last minute interventions by a few members of the Texas congressional delegation.
That was back in May. Now, here we are four months later and the Jones Act has once again become the subject of national media coverage, this time mainly because President Trump keeps having to suspend it in order to help save lives after major hurricane events have devastated the U.S. and its territories. That sentence alone should make any observer wonder: After all,
Before we get into that, let’s review what the Jones Act actually does. Fellow Forbes contributor Ted Loch-Temziledes, in an excellent piece on the Act, sums it up thusly:
The act regulates all maritime commerce in U.S. waters and between U.S. ports. It requires that shipping of all goods transported between U.S. ports be carried out by ships under the U.S flag. The ships must be constructed in the United States, owned by U.S. citizens, and crewed by U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents. Furthermore, the steel used in any foreign repair work on a Jones Act vessel must be less than ten percent of the ship’s total weight. Waivers are only possible on a temporary basis, in cases involving national defense, or other emergencies, such as hurricanes.
Read the Rest Here
Today’s Campaign Update
(Because The Campaign Never Ends)
- It’s all your fault, too, Jane. – The Most Corrupt Woman in America sat down for an interview with Jane Pauley on Sunday’s CBS Morning News program, and boy was this a hard-hitting slugfest! Ok, just kidding. Ms. Pauley is of course just another fake journalist who openly rooted for Ms. Clinton during the 2016 election campaign. Plus, the parent company of CBS also owns the company that is publishing Hillary’s latest bit of fiction, so the chances of any real journalism taking place in the interview were roughly equal to the chances of the San Francisco Giants to win this year’s World Series.
- Question #1: How much should all Americans hate all Americans for causing you to lose? – No wonder, then, that the interview began with Ms. Pauley literally impaling her self at the altar of Hillary worship with this question: “So, I’m wondering. How are you?” It all went downhill from there, with Ms. Pauley even jumping in to help Her Corruptness expand on her hateful points. At one point, after Clinton had claimed that Donald Trump had played to the “millions of people who were upset about gains that were made by others,” good ol’ Jane piped in with “…millions of white people…”, to which Senora Corrupcion quickly agreed.
- If only this could go on forever. Oh, wait… – Otherwise, the interview amounted to just another opportunity for The Corrupt Woman to whine, act out, point fingers, slander the current President of the United States and basically blame everyone in the known universe – except, of course, her own self – for denying her her life’s rightful conclusion as brutal dictator of the entire world!!!!!!, er, the first female POTUS.
- In the end, the interview was just a sad chat fest between two relics of the 1990s, a parting gift by CBS to the network’s preferred candidate, delivered by a long-ago has-been who also once thought she should rule the entire world from the anchor desk at NBC’s Nightly News.
- Ok, who’s stupid enough to criticize the Clintons in public? You? No. You? No. Hey, let’s get Doug Schoen! – But no matter how pathetic a character the Corruption Queen becomes, she steadfastly refuses to leave the national stage, reminding of no one so much as Gloria Swanson playing the washed up movie queen Nora Desmond in Sunset Boulevard. Her never ending ‘you all failed me’ tours have become very unproductive exercises for the Democrat Party, whose leadership, such as it is, would like to move on. Things have become so dire that someone in power convinced long-time Democrat operative Doug Schoen, who worked on The Most Corrupt Woman’s failed 2008 quest for total domination, that it would be a great idea for him to write a piece in The Hill encouraging Ms. Clinton to please just go away already.
- Dear Hillary: please don’t make me ‘commit suicide’ for writing this, ok? – Mr. Schoen’s piece is actually very pointed, and contains this key paragraph: “Recently, Clinton was quoted saying that she felt that Trump “was literally breathing down my neck” during a debate, and that she felt “incredibly uncomfortable.” While this generates lots of coverage for her, these anecdotes only distract from the real reasons she lost and the changes the Democratic Party needs to make going forward.” Hooboy. Let’s hope Mr. Schoen has kept his life insurance premiums paid up to date.
- He’s been waiting for this moment for twelve long years. – As Hurricane Irma made landfall on Sunday, the streets of Miami literally were flowing with water. We can count on Al Gore to include films of this flooding in his next fake climate change documentary, and tell his viewers that this was just a normal Tuesday in Little Havana.
- Quick, hide the wife and children. – Joe Biden’s daughter, Ashley Biden, told a reporter that her father is “considering” a run for the presidency in 2020, when he will be 76 years old. Ok, so, who is going to get Schoen to write another piece telling Joe it’s time to shut up and go away? And what about Bernie? And Elizabeth Warren? How many times can the Democrats go to the Schoen well here?
Just another day in the Democrat Party is Dying and There’s No Way to Stop it America.
That is all.