- Panicked over Democrat threats to shut down the government if they did not get each and every one of their spending priorities, congressional Republicans did what they pretty much always do and caved like a bunch of Frenchmen at the first sign of adversity, spent more than a trillion dollars of your money, and allowed Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi to hold celebratory press conferences declaring victory for their tiny minority party. Even worse, President Donald Trump signed the atrocity, which spends your money like a drunken sailor on shore leave through the end of September, into law. It’s a disgrace, plain and simple, and if you don’t have utter contempt for the GOP congress after this latest in a long, long line of budgetary fiascos, I don’t know what to say to you.
- This was an enormous lost opportunity for President Trump, who should have laughed at the bill, which does not contain a single one of his stated spending priorities, and sent it back to Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell in shreds. There is absolutely no smart political reason for Donald Trump to fear the shut down of what amounts to 14% of the federal government. What, is he going to get some bad press if he lets the Democrats do that? My God, bad press is the only kind of press he gets. It’s how he got elected, for crying out loud.
- I have no idea which of his senior people advised him to capitulate in this way, but whomever it is needs firing. Because these people have no earthly idea why Donald Trump is president in the first place (Clue: He got elected to SHUT DOWN THE GOVERNMENT in situations exactly like this), and is sadly succeeding in making the President forget why as well.
- Yesterday was a really bad day for President Trump, and a truly awful day for America, because it showed the President is losing focus on why he was elected in the first place. We’d all better hope he gets that focus back very quickly. You expect this kind of limp-wristed nonsense from congressional Republicans, but you didn’t vote for Donald Trump so that he could sign onto it as well.
- I’m too pissed off to write about anything else. Sorry. I’ll try to do better tomorrow.
Just another day in RINO congress America.
That is all.